Wednesday, March 24, 2010

You asked for it...

I have had many people ask me for this recipe. It's one that I got from my boss and Aaron and I just love. My boss calls it Bean and Avacado salsa, but I like the name Cowboy Caviar better (a name I swiped from Jodi and Bo for a slightly similar recipe.) It is soo yummy!!

**There is one caveat however... If there is any family function or party to which the bringing of a side dish is required I've got dibs on this one.

1 can white corn, drained & rinsed
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 chopped red onion (I put in half of this and add more if it needs it later)
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno (I only use half because I don't like things too hot)
1 red pepper, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 avocados, diced

Dressing:
1 T. salt
3/4 tsp. cumin
6 T. lime juice (I use fresh limes it takes about 3 to get enough)
2 T. oil
2 T. apple cider vinegar

Toss all salsa ingredients except the avocados, and set aside. Mix the dressing ingredients well. Pour over salsa and toss thoroughly. Finally, add the avocados. If you add the avocados too early they may mash excessively, thus looking more like guacamole. Serve with favorite tortilla chips.
**This recipe is better on day two... meaning it is better if it sits a while so the flavor blends.

P.S. You can use a food processor for everything except the tomatos and the avacados. It goes MUCH faster that way!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh good! After all that effort I went through to copy the recipe down on Sunday, I left it at my parents! So thanks for posting it!

And I love your caveat, lol. I think that's only fair. :)